Undocumented Americans’ Bill of Rights
We, the Undocumented Americans, submit our Immigrants’ Bill of Rights with the same determination as the nation’s founders to incorporate these rights into law across the land.
We are here on American soil working for a stronger economy while reinvigorating the nation’s commitment toward democracy, and we should be afforded the same due process and equal protection guaranteed to all by the U.S. Constitution. We are the living embodiment of the American Dream and how we are treated by this nation reflects its commitment to its own ideals. Going forward, we want to see the United States fulfill its historic democratic promise by making these rights a reality.
- Acknowledgment that we are already here, that we are human beings with a right to be, that our mere presence cannot be deemed illegal or our existence alien.
- Affirmation that we are to be treated with dignity and respect, not just because of who we are, but who you are – historic beneficiaries of immigrant struggles for the freedom to be.
- Recognition of our right to be presented with a path to citizenship/residency as the first priority of future immigration policy combined with interim deferment of all law-abiding Undocumented Americans against detention and deportation.
- Compelled authorization of birth certificates for our U.S.-born children to ensure their constitutionally guaranteed right to citizenship.
- Protection against cruel and unusual punishment, including the separation of our immediate families and incarceration without charges, hearings or representation.
- Access to non-discriminating public education and in-state tuition to ensure that our children realize their full potential for themselves and the country.
- Guarantee of wage equality with a legal right to petition for wage theft or workplace mistreatment without jeopardizing our immigration status.
- Assurance of humanitarian treatment, including medical care.
- Protection against detention or deportation when we report a crime as a victim of witness.
- Guarantee of the Declaration’s unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
As Undocumented Americans, we call on ALL Americans to join us in our pursuit of these rights. Most of those who call the U.S. home are immigrants or descendants of immigrants. We, the Undocumented, join this bold, determined continuum of freedom-seeking humanity as we strive to help build this nation and find our way toward a more inclusive and perfect union.
© 2015 UnitedWeStay.org